Now that we’ve given you the basics on the benefits of exercise, the 3 different types of exercise you should engage in and the recommended amount of exercise you should do a week, why don’t we get a little more into what Cardiorespiratory exercise means! If you have no idea what I’m talking about…fear NOT! Just take a quick peek at the video from week 2 to get a quick reminder! Don’t forget that we have an awesome challenge for the week so keep watching so you don’t miss out on those rewards points!
So let’s get right into what CARDIORESPIRATORY exercise is:?
The word tells you what it does: It gets your heart pumping faster and makes you breath faster. This is considered AEROBIC exercise. You will break a sweat!
Those jumping jacks are good for ya! Sweat is good! So if you look like you just stepped out of the shower, well then my friend, you did a job well done!
Cardio is broken up into two types of exercises:?
MODERATE intensity and VIGOROUS intensity. Moderate intensity includes things like
Dancing, Hiking, Riding bike, Walking fast. Vigorous intensity includes: things like Jumping rope, Running, Swimming, Basketball.
Burpees… I know… those dreaded burpees! And if you’ve never heard of these before its okay! We’ll show you what they look like, and how to do them.. and in time you’ll see why they are “dreaded”.✓
But it feels sooo good when you’re done.. and they work so well to get your heart pumping like crazy! Its why I mention them here.✓
Quick thing: Any of the above exercises can be either moderate or vigorous depending on HOW you do them.✓
Take dancing….depending on the kind of music, dancing can be moderate, like a slow romantic song like boleros or it can be very vigorous too. Merengue, Salsa, and even vallenatos can be so quick paced, it will make you break a sweat. Even after just one song, you might end up begging for a CHAIR and a GLASS OF WATER. Not to mention your LEGS CAN GET SHAKY from all that CARDIO. Been there, done that. CHECK!
Then there are those non-typical exercises that you don’t even consider exercise because they are daily activities. Mopping, sweeping, washing dishes, gardening. Have you ever started sweating while you clean your room, or clean your house? Oh and don’t even get me started on the stairs. If you use stairs instead of an elevator…Up and down the stairs…. That sounds like cardio to me! And it feels like cardio too! You just give that a try and let your family know how you feel! You could even just add some music and dance while you mop and you have a full cardio workout done!
If you’re cleaning your room, do the same! Adding your favorite tunes clearly encourages exercise. Have you ever walked through a gym? Maybe seen a spinning class happening.. even on T.V shows. The music is sooo loud! Everyone is sweating, the leader is screaming! It’s almost like a club! But the only thing people are drinking is water!
So…how is it that any exercise can be both moderate or vigorous? How do you know which is which?: Easy!?
- If you can gossip with a pal, talk about the latest tele novela, girl or boy problems then its MODERATE.. if you can sing.. We’ll then you’re on your way to joining the turtle club.. so pick up the pace!
- If you can’t gossip because you’re gasping for air and can’t even hear yourself think its VIGOROUS.
MUST KNOW In cardio, breathing fast is okay. Especially during high intensity exercise. BUT if you ever feel PAIN in your CHEST or in your JAW.. stop. Listen to your body! It is smart! If you get dizzy, stop. Rest. Sit Down. Be safe. Exercise is all about being SAFE, having FUN and being ACTIVE.?
BUT let’s get back to food. Because I love food… don’t you? Have you ever had one of those days where it feels like your stomach is what we would say in Spanish “un barril sin fondo”? Basically… you eat and eat and still… you don’t feel full! Ugh!!! It’s so frustrating… I know! And you end up eating very unhealthy things, and then you regret it and you feel gross and the next day your pants don’t fit. I know the feeling!
Well, how about the obvious! You’re hungry!!!! DUH! Who would have thought that you feel hungry because you actually are? It is clearly normal to feel hunger, so if you are hungry, feel free to reach out for some awesome healthy snacks. Emphasis on HEALTHY, hello!
Okay, but what if you’ve already had a huge meal, and a few snacks and you just ate a few minutes ago and you feel the urge to eat everything? Here are a few other reasons why you might feel this way, and trust me I have felt them all, so you are NOT alone.
- Boredom: Ever been sitting around with nothing to do and so you instinctively walk over to the fridge to see what might “entertain” you?
So what do you do?
- Find another distraction! Exercise is pretty distracting so I would say do that ha! But if that’s not what you have in mind, call a friend and meet up with them. See what happens to that natural urge to reach for food when you’re feeling a bit bored.
- You’re eating less filling food: Foods like refined rice or breads, even cereals can fill you for a bit.. until the energy you get from it disappears and you get that sudden need to feed again! Ay! “But I just ate”!
So what do you do?
- Replace those cereals with things like oatmeal, or whole wheat, add those fibrous foods like fruits and veggies! The fullness from those foods lasts longer AND so does the energy! No after-meal naps and no after meal snacks!
- Dehydration: Your body sometimes confuses feeling thirsty for hungry. Ever wonder why some diets recommend drinking a glass of water before a meal? Sure, it might help make you feel fuller because it takes up space in your belly… but there’s more to it than that!
Never in my wildest dreams did I entertain the idea that I would become a fashion designer. I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style.
So what do you do?
- Don’t forget to drink water throughout the day so that when you feel hungry.. its because you actually need food and not just water. If you feel hungry… drink a glass of water. Wait a few minutes… DISTRACT YOURSELF for a bit. If the hunger feeling goes away… ha! You were actually thirsty silly! If you still feel hungry.. well.. it may be time to whip up a delicious HEALTHY meal with all food groups. Look back at the video from week 1 to remind yourself what a healthy plate looks like.
- Your diet is low in Zinc: Certain elements in your diet can regulate hormones like leptin, which makes you feel full. Leptin makes you Lean! So what you eat is not just important for your health BUT also feelings of hunger. This means that if you’re eating right.. you won’t just feel better because you’re eating healthier… BUT the “I must eat all” feelings will also be reduced! Which is great on all counts of health including maintaining a healthy weight!
So what do you do?
- Make sure you try to include some of these foods in your diet..foods with great levels of zinc! Oysters, beef, beans, chicken, YOGURT! Chickpeas, cheese, Oatmeal! Almonds, peas,
- Sleep deprivation: who knew sleep would have such a huge impact on your feelings of hunger! But it does… because if plays around with your hormones.. more specifically Leptin and Ghrelin. Leptin goes down.. so you’re less full… Ghrelin goes up which makes you want to eat more.
So what do you do?
- Make sure you’re getting enough sleep!
There you have it.. 5 not hunger related reasons why you might want to eat your whole fridge! So next time you experience this feeling play around with the options you have to fix it before you need to go to the store and repack your fridge.
You didn’t think we’d forget the awesome weekly CHALLENGE yourself game, did you?
Time to get sweaty and have FUN doing it!
Time to call your parent or adolescent into the room! Pull out your favorite board game, doesn’t matter which but it must have a pair of DICE. That’s right! Time to play a game! For every double number you roll, you must do 15 jumping jacks. For every even number stack on as many squats as you can (max of 15), for every odd number how about 15 knee ups!
Click on the links so you can see how to do each exercise correctly! Don’t worry! Modify them to fit your fitness level… and don’t forget posture. Don’t forget a glass of water.. you might need it by the time the game is over ha!